So, you have decided it is time to get a tutor, but how do you choose the right one?
It is no secret that there is a strong relationship between success and education. We see it time and time again. That is because people with a full and varied education have a well-developed range of skills to apply to their life, the more you know, the more you can do.
We all know the best form of education is one on one. Where the student benefits from the complete attention of an individual who is skilled and well educated, this is where tutoring is immensely beneficial. Tutors are a fantastic resource to help educate today’s students in a world that is rapidly moving ahead. Tutors can offer a level of interaction and education on a personal level that is just not possible in modern-day schooling.
So, now that we know getting a tutor is a great idea, how do we choose the right one?
1. It is important to select a tutor with excellent teaching abilities.
In order to educate someone, an individual must have complete mastery over the subject; otherwise, they will be more of a hindrance than a help. It is beneficial to find a tutor associated with a business that assesses their tutors for you. You will pay a little more this way, but you will save a lot of time and energy.
This helps to avoid rogue tutors who claim to be more than they are.
2. Make sure the lessons are tailored to fit individual student needs.
The first thing you should check is, is the tutor’s teaching method.
Is it an individual and tailored approach? Or is it one size fits all?
The best form of education is one that is specifically tailored to fit the student’s needs. A customised approach should include regular informal assessments. This ensures the students are moving at a pace that is not only comfortable but also ensures they are gaining a solid knowledge of the subjects and skills they are learning within it.
Individual tutoring is the best way to achieve this, as it guarantees the student will get their tutors full and undivided attention for the duration of the lesson.
3. Find a tutoring business that is open and clear about who their tutors are and what they offer.
When looking into a tutoring business, it pays to ask some tough questions. The good news is, an excellent tutoring business will have access to all of these answers with very little effort on your part. Be wary of tutoring businesses or websites that are not open about who their tutors are, their level of education, and whether they employ or contract their workers.
Here are some questions you should ask yourself when considering a tutoring company:
- Do they have a minimum standard of education for their tutors? How can a tutor help anyone reach a high level of education if they haven’t reached it themselves?
- Do their Tutors to have background checks? Police checks and WWC Checks are essential, especially if this person is working with your children or in your home.
- How long have they been operational for? This is especially important with the current climate. Many people decide to ‘try their hand’ at tutoring with no knowledge of the current curriculums, no guidance, and occasionally no or low education. Many of these kinds of tutors come and go, suddenly leaving their students without a tutor when they need them most. The worst thing? An unmonitored tutor who is just ‘giving it a go’ can do serious damage to a students education and confidence.
- Do they monitor their tutors to ensure they are delivering a high standard of tuition? A good tutoring business will have someone qualified to look over the lesson plans of all their tutors regularly, and they will allow the clients to have access to them upon request. A good tutoring company has nothing to hide.
- Do they employ or contract their tutors? This is important, because places that contract their tutors take no responsibility for the quality their tutors deliver. Their tutors are entirely independent of the business, which acts more like an agency that charges tutors and students a regular finder fee, but does nothing more than link a student with a tutor and then take payment. How can they ensure you a high-quality lesson when their tutors are completly independent?
We hope our tips help you find the perfect turor for your needs!
These tips will help you choose a tutor in the future and one who can give their students the education and support their students deserve. We wish you all the best in your hunt for the right tutor!
We have a fantastic team of tutors who would love to help you out. Would you like to learn more about Evergreen Tutoring Services?
Please follow us!
Visit us on Facebook and find a range of helpful resources, ideas, and study tips.